thoughtful

thoughtful

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I love pumpkin cookies !

I am not a big fan of anything pumpkin, especially pie, but I looooooooove chocolate chip pumpkin cookies !  I'm not even sure where my mom/sister got this recipe, but we've made them on and off for years.  (I make them a ton in the winter !)  The pumpkin and oats make it somewhat "healthy" and the chocolate chips add just enough chocolate to make them the perfect cookie.  Let's be honest... who doesn't like getting a little extra fiber in a YUMMY cookie ?!  ;]  Everyone who has ever tried them has loved them, including my oh-so-picky little bubba.  I actually used white chocolate chips this time because I had a bag and didn't know what else to use them in.  Not as yummy as regular chocolate chips, but still good.  :]  Here is the recipe for anyone who wants to try it:

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

4 c. unsifted flour
2 c. oats, uncooked
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ c. butter, softened
2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 can (16-oz.) pumpkin
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, oats, soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside. Cream butter; gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Alternate additions of dry ingredients and pumpkin, mixing well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips. For each cookie, drop ¼ c. dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees, 20-25 minutes, until cookies are firm and lightly browned.
 



*tips*
-I only cook mine for about 16-17 minutes because of the altitude. (And I like them really soft/moist !:)  You just have to experiment and see what works for you !
-This recipe makes a LOT of cookies (especially depending on the size you make them), so you may want to just do a half recipe first.
-I store my cookie dough bowl in the fridge while a batch is in the oven.  If the softened butter, or dough in general, gets too soft, you will pull little blob cookies out of the oven.  They don't taste good !
-I use parchment paper on the cookie sheet to avoid sticking and it's such an easy clean up.
-Let the cookie sheet cool a little before spooning another batch on to it.  I think it helps keep the bottom from getting too dark. (This is probably a given but I don't cook/bake much so I have no idea !)
-Best to make on cooler days because the oven is on for quite a while between the baking time and cooling time between !
-I don't turn the oven on until I start mixing in the chocolate chips.  I get distracted easily and don't want the oven on any longer than it has to be.  :] 
-I just use one of the small cans of pumpkin (15oz I think ?).  No need to open a big one and then have left over pumpkin.  Most of the time I just use the organic canned pumpkin from our Target.  I find no taste difference at all and it's usually always in stock even during the holiday season when the regular pumpkin in the baking isle is out of stock !! :]










Here's a picture from last year of my little cookie monster eating one.  :]





1 comment:

jen fuller said...

yep, thanks, i am going to steal this recipe (most likely burn the cookies) and enjoy it with a non-caffeinated (such a thing? a nursing mom can dream) pumpkin spice latte!