thoughtful

thoughtful

Monday, September 19, 2011

Good deed for the day !

We don't really talk to many of our neighbors other than the occasional wave and "hello" in passing, not like we did in the mountains where you knew everyone by you.  The couple across the street are about our age and have two little girls, three and five, and we have chatted with them several times in the past year.  Recently, we thought she was pregnant but I didn't want to shove my foot in my mouth by asking her and being wrong, until about a month ago when it was so clearly obvious she was.  Bud finally got the nerve to ask one day when they were both down the street getting the mail and she confirmed it.  Another girl !  Her due date was last week on the 13th so I can imagine she was getting very frustrated, not to mention uncomfortable, with this heat and a big belly tagging along longer than expected.  We offered about three weeks ago to take her to the hospital when she went into labor because they don't have a car right now.  I can't imagine having that worry about how I would get to the hospital with a baby on the way !  Around 10 am this morning, Bud came running into our bedroom to wake me up (he let me sleep in this morning !  YAY for sleep/just laying in my comfy bed with peace and quiet !!) and said "Crystal's water broke, I'm taking her to the hospital !"  So I stumbled down the stairs to watch Brett while he got some towels together for her to sit on in case she was still leaking at all.  (We have no idea how that works since I didn't go into labor and had a planned C-section.)  They took off and I ran back inside to look up the directions for the hospital.  While I did that, Brett decided to wander into our bathroom and squirt Dial soap all over his head and rub it around.  He came out and said "Ta-da !" being very proud of himself for washing his own hair.  :]  Bud got a little lost with my bad choice in words while giving directions over the phone.... fyi- "towards" and "get on" cannot be mistaken !  They found it about 10 minutes after the mix up and he did not have to deliver the baby on the side of the road !!!  Whew !  Then it became a little awkward for Bud who had to either stay in her room with her or sit in the waiting area which was too far away from her room to hear if she needed anything.  So he came back home and picked up her husband and brought the girls over to our house for us to watch until their grandparents came up from Whittier to get them.  I thought watching Brett was exhausting but having to add a three and five year old to that mix, whom I have never really even talked to before, was a little rough.  The kids had fun playing and Bud brought home the easiest thing for lunch, chicken nuggets and fries from McDonalds !  The girls were here about four hours total and we breathed big sighs of relief when we closed the door.  I don't know how other people watch multiple children !!  Especially when only one is theirs.  :]  It feels really good to have been such a big help to them when they needed it.  Crystal's dad said he is going to help us plant our grass in the front yard in the spring (he's a landscaper) for doing them such big favors.  I couldn't have asked for a better returned favor.  :]

3 comments:

Wilmer Mitchell said...

I'm so proud of you all for helping your neighbors. I know you would have done it without expecting something in return. That's the Christian way.

jen fuller said...

wow that is so nice of you guys...and it's fun to be apart of such a special day, too! i didn't know you had a C section - go you! that was such a huge fear of mine (so instead i ripped really bad - yiiikes. tmi?)

Jamie Lynn said...

yeah, i was just a tad terrified of the c-sec, but overall, it was nice for me to be able to plan the delivery day/time, no complications (like painnnnnful tearing (i can only imagine !!)) and i didn't have to go through hours of labor. not saying the recovery wasn't painful, because it definitely was. lol just glad my 9lb 2oz bubba was healthy and perfect coming out ! :]