When Brett was around 5-7 months, we realized he had an attachment to one of the many blankets we got at his shower. He would cry and be fussy for long periods of time while we tried everything until eventually, we put the blanket in his crib and he would calm down and go to sleep. I thought it was just a coincidence at first, not believing that a child that young could become so attached to anything other than his parents. When I finally realized it was the key to him calming down and sleeping peacefully, I think I jumped for joy !! Since then, that blanket has been with him almost 24/7. He would take it in the shower if he could ! On days when we quietly take it from him and wash it before or after his nap, he is very obviously more irritable, even if he doesn't realize why. Once one of us brings it down to him and he spots it in our hand, he gets an ear to ear grin and yells out "BANKEY !!!!" The day we lose Bankey, I think I just may have a mental breakdown. My Bubba would be devastated if he didn't have it and didn't even understand why ! Last Christmas night, after everyone had gone home and we were putting Brett to bed, I started to panic because I could not find the blanket. We looked everywhere and called relatives who were here to check their cars, gifts, etc. No one had it and Brett was freaking out !!! (as were we !) I went into the garage to look around and almost checked the trash can just to be sure. I said to myself "no, that's silly... it didn't get thrown away." So I started walking back inside but something was telling me to go back and check anyway. And there it was.... in the middle of all the wrapping paper and boxes. Bud and I both cried tears of joy when I ran upstairs and gave it to Brett ! It was such an awful scare, especially since the trash would have gone out in the next day or two and it would have been bye bye Bankey. :[ It almost feels as if Bankey is another child because I have to be so watchful and protective of it. I have even searched all over the internet to find a duplicate but they just don't make them anymore and apparently, no one has any they are selling, either. Now, hopefully you can understand how much this darn blanket means to my son ! I was getting together laundry this morning and was including Bankey in the load (after Brett rubbed lotion all over it) when he comes running in the room with his blanket. Bud had already thrown it into the washing machine so Brett would not see him do it but apparently, he did. So I whipped out my cell phone and threw it back into the washer so we could see just how he got it out. My strong, sneaky little monkey will do anything for that blanket !!! :]
Isn't it sad I can make a post about a blanket THAT long ? ;]
1 comment:
My turn! Haha:) I have a friend who's two kids are both STILL obsessed with their blankeys and they are 4 and 6. You may have to put a chip in it so you can track it if it's gonna be apart of the family for awhile!
Post a Comment